Thursday, February 07, 2008

"What kind of guy are you?"

On the way to school the other day, I noticed a sign that the local area soccer organization was having sign ups soon. I asked 4thGrader if he wanted to play this season, just like I ask him every season about every sport. He had the same answer as always - NO!

Just like always, I asked him "Why not?" and just like always he said he didn't like it, he didn't know how to play, and he wasn't any good at it. I said perhaps we had failed him and his brother by not playing sports in the yard so much, that perhaps they'd had too much unstructured time in the yard as little guys. He said no, that wasn't it - it's just that he's "not a sports guy."

"Not a sports guy? Well, that's ok - you can be whatever kind of guy you want to be," I said. "What kind of guy are you, then?"

I should've guessed his reply. "A Technology guy."

I told him that he can be whatever kind of guy he wants to be and that no one else can tell him what kind of guy to be.

His dad says if he'll end up as wealthy as Bill Gates and those other "Technology Guys" then we'll be all set!

2 comments:

Family Adventure said...

LOL! That is too funny.

It is so hard finding your shelf in life - but it looks like your little guy has it all figured out.

Very cute!

Heidi

Anonymous said...

If you want to reinforce that "be true to your inner guy" message, suggest that he read 101 Ways to Bug Your Teacher and/or 101 Ways to Bug Your Parents.

My 4th grader has decided he's not a sports guy, either - but his decision came after being on a few disappointing soccer team experiences (disappointing b/c the teams never jelled, so it was never quite fun). He'd probably say he's a technology guy, too - or maybe a builder guy, or an inventor guy. I guess I should ask! (He's said all 3 of those at various times in the past.)