Monday, September 10, 2007

Lunch with 4thGrader

4thGrader's class had a special lunch today - bring your grandparents (or parents, if your grandparents can't come) and have lunch in the classroom. Because 4thGrader's grandparents live too far away, I joined him for lunch.

He wanted to just get school lunch, so I packed lunch for me. As it turned out, he didn't like what they had (we don't have a menu this month for some reason or another) so he ended up eating my sandwich while I just had my yogurt and squishy banana. We sat at his desk to share our shared lunch.

After lunch, the children had a play about Strong Verbs that was written by Melissa Forney. If you're unfamiliar with Melissa Forney, she's an author but more importantly a motivator and educator who teaches how to teach writing to students and how to encourage children to write, and how to help even those who don't enjoy writing to, when they do have to write, to write well.

4thGrader then showed me around his classroom as our Open House was the 6th day of school and they didn't have much up, but now that we're in the 4th week, they have a lot more stuff on the walls.

What a wonderful break in the middle of my day!

2 comments:

Erin said...

sounds like fun. it's hard to believe your kids are so far into the school year already!

Family Adventure said...

What a nice way to spend a few hours. Sounds like your son was really proud to have you there and that you made a good substitute for the grandparents :) I am happy that my kids still want to show me what they do at school. I am sure there'll come a time when they'd rather not be seen with me, but so far so good :)