Friday, September 29, 2006

Siblings without Rivalry

When you have a 9 year old who is charming, funny, smart, witty, a good conversationalist, well-liked by his peers and adults, and you also have a 10 year old who thinks he is none of these things (even though he is), there's bound to be rivalry. I picked up a copy of Siblings without Rivalry to see if I can learn some things to help these two get along better - or at least not have so many hurt feelings. I think I should've gotten this book when I was first expecting little one.

The boys are so much alike in so many ways, but so different. They aren't competitive about physical things; it's more about perceptions of fairness (what is fair anyway?). Who got more time on the computer? Who has to go first to take a bath (I went first yesterday, no you didn't...) ~ well, you get the idea.

Ay-yi-yi! I suspect the teen years ahead will be rough enough... hopefully we can all learn some skills to take the sharp edges off.

No comments: