Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Why School Kids are Helpful

This morning I was doing some work from home and had a PowerPoint presentation to review. I don't use PowerPoint regularly, so I was trying to figure out how to make the presentation be a "slide show" for viewing. 5thGrader came in about that time and asked me what I was doing, and as he looked over my shoulder, he said "Mom, you should look at that as a slide-show; just click right there." And voila' - my screen filled and all was well. 5thGrader learned to use PowerPoint while in 4th grade. I was telling my co-worker about it, and she said it was good that I had my own tech support at home!

Then later today I was figuring out how much our breakfast cost. There is a thread on DISBoards that is a Feed Your Family on $10 a Day challenge, and while I'm not officially participating, it's been interesting to read and to figure out how much we spend in a typical day. We made pancakes for breakfast and drank milk. I wanted to calculate how much the 2 cups of milk cost, so to do that, I needed to know how many cups are in a gallon. Because I don't keep that information in my head where it is easily accessible, I keep a magnet on the side of the refrigerator with the comparisons on it. As I was walking to the kitchen, I asked the boys how many cups are in a gallon, and 3rdGrader said "16." Sure enough, there are 16 cups in a gallon. I asked him how he knew that, and he said it's just something he learned and maybe I should go back to 3rd grade!

No comments: