Monday, June 26, 2006

Working as a family at WDW

Ever since I can remember, N has wanted to drive the train at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. Z has wanted to drive the monorail. They are planning to move to Orlando after high school and do the Disney College program.

By the time Z is graduating high school, I'll have 4 years left until I could retire. GradeSchoolDad will have already retired. We were talking at dinner last night about how when the kids move out and I retire, perhaps we'll move with them to Orlando.

We could get seasonal jobs (meaning NOT during the hot season) at WDW and work with the kids!

So we got to talking about what job would be a good match for each of us. The kids decided that GradeSchoolDad would be perfect for a guide on the Jungle Cruise. He can tell scripted, corny jokes with the best of them, and he'd look pretty good in the costume!

For me, they rejected every idea I came up with (Snow White? nope, I'm too old. Running 'it's a small world?' - nope, they think I'd get crazy pushing the button and waving all day. Ursula is an animatronic and I don't have enough arms anyway.) But then it came to us -- I could be a tour guide!

You know what? I really like that idea! I think I'll put it on my list of things to think about for when I get closer to retirement.

And you know what else? I'm confident that both boys will have a chance to experience their dreams.

No comments: